Can I subpoena a hospital for medical records of a decedent if I am a beneficiary of the decedent's estate?

San Diego, CA |

Are there any privacy/privilege laws that would prevent me from doing this? Do I have to get the executor of the estate's permission?

A subpoena is under the authority of the court. If you have a court case that is ongoing, then you can subpoena records...

Answer: yes. There are laws which prevent you from doing that, unless you have a court case as was previously mentioned.

Thomas A. Schaeffer, Esq. Law Office of Juarez and Schaeffer PO Box 16216, San Diego, CA 92105 (619) 804-4327 www.jslaw.org This posting is provided for "informational purposes" only and should not be relied upon as "legal advice." Nothing transmitted from this posting constitutes the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. Applicability of the legal principals discussed here may differ substantially in individual situations or in different States.

Recommended articles about Lawsuits and disputes