Can I submit I-130 then I-485?

Asked about 2 years ago - Columbus, OH

I need to apply for green card through marriage, Can I send i-130 now and after 2 months send i-485? which one will determine if the green card conditional or permanent approving i-130 or i-485?

1. David Eli Larson

Pro

1

Answered . You should normally submit both the I-130 and the I-485 at the same time. Neither one determines whether you get a conditional two-year card versus a permanent ten year card. If you have been married for less than two years when your green card is approved, you will get a two year card. If you have been married for two years or more when your green card gets approved you will get a ten year card. You should get an immigration lawyer to help you through the process. See the links below.

2. J Charles Ferrari

1

Answered . Neither. Whether you get a conditional card or a permanent card is determined by how long you have been married at the time USCIS grant permanent residence.

3. Mary Kathleen Neal

1

Answered . You do not say if you are married to a citizen or a legal permanent resident. If you are married to an LPR, you will still have a wait for a visa after filing your I-130, and can only file your I-485 when your visa becomes available.

Make a consultation appointment with an attorney in your area to learn more about the process.