Can I stop my child's father from getting joint custody?

Bonaire, GA |

After getting pregnant I told my boyfriend at the time I was expecting and he up and left, needless to say I didn't see him again till after my son was born and I took him to see his father he acknowledged that he was his son but still refused to see him or have anything to do with him, now my sons 9 months I am filing for child support, his mother / guardian receive a ssi check for my sons father and when she found out about the child support has told me that they will be taking me to court for joint custody so that they would have my son half the year. I have gave my sons father every opportunity to be around his son but he refuses. (My sons father also is a frequent drug abuser, I have told him of he wants to have his son he needs to get clean and straighten out which he refus

Talking about filing and filing are two different things. Until and unless he does something, he doesn't have any rights to see the child. But he can file to legitimize the child and seek either visitation or custody. If he does the most important thing to do is to hire counsel. Note that 50-50 physical custody is very rare.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. Note that I am only licensed in Georgia and thus cannot practice in other states. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody