Can I stop my child's father from getting joint custody?

Asked 12 months ago - Bonaire, GA

After getting pregnant I told my boyfriend at the time I was expecting and he up and left, needless to say I didn't see him again till after my son was born and I took him to see his father he acknowledged that he was his son but still refused to see him or have anything to do with him, now my sons 9 months I am filing for child support, his mother / guardian receive a ssi check for my sons father and when she found out about the child support has told me that they will be taking me to court for joint custody so that they would have my son half the year. I have gave my sons father every opportunity to be around his son but he refuses. (My sons father also is a frequent drug abuser, I have told him of he wants to have his son he needs to get clean and straighten out which he refus

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Glen Edward Ashman


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Talking about filing and filing are two different things. Until and unless he does something, he doesn't have any rights to see the child. But he can file to legitimize the child and seek either visitation or custody. If he does the most important thing to do is to hire counsel. Note that 50-50 physical custody is very rare.

    If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,763 answers this week

3,032 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,763 answers this week

3,032 attorneys answering