Can I stop harassing phone calls from my children's mom?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Philadelphia, PA

I have 3 children, 21, 18 and 14 with a woman that I did not marry. We have not been together for 12 years. I am continually receiving harassing phone calls, blocked 13 numbers their mom has called from. I am sober 6 years this November, have made my support payments with the arrears that have been dictated by the court, yet she continues to call me. When she calls she uses harassing, degrating and foul language in front of my youngest daughter. Bringing up the actions of my past that is not in my present. I have been polite and told her to stop calling. She continues. Calls from other numbers, threatening text messages and I just want it to stop. I have considered getting an order of protection, however, I am not sure what to do with my youngest daughter. There is no primary cus

1. Linda Ann Kerns

2

Answered . Based on the content of her text messages, her behavior may rise to the level of abuse under Pennsylvania's Protection from Abuse statute. You should have an attorney review the material. If you do not have a custody order in effect, you should consider seeking one from the court -- that way you can address what behavior is appropriate in front of a child. It sounds like you are on the right track by not retaliating and ending the conversations as soon as possible. I have written several pieces on my blog about Pennsylvania's Protection from Abuse statute.

These comments are intended as general information and do not constitute legal advice.
  2. Virginia Giselle Alvarez

Answered . I am sorry for your situation. I am not sure what the PA laws for recording phone conversations. Verify with an attorney as a recording may help in a proceeding first to get you a restraining order and second for custody for your minor child.