Can I stop Discover & collection agencies from harassing me? They have called me for 11 years: morning, noon, evenings & nights

Asked about 2 years ago - Kansas City, MO

On 5-1-2001, my husband took my Discover card & made a Cash Advance for $3,000.00. Unaware of transaction, I received a statement for that amount. I called Discover to report error & they told me that my husband had made the cash advance. In 2002, I left my home & husband. I live alone and have a progressive disability and not able to work. I receive disability from the State. My income is very low, which I've told Discover and can't pay. Told them to contact husband, but they can't get in contact with him & Discover states it's my responsibility, since it was my Discover card. I was told Legal Statue of Limits Act states you can't collect after 5 yrs. They have called me for 11 yrs., morning, noon, evenings & nights! Can I get this stopped?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Neil Sader


    Contributor Level 8


    Lawyers agree


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . In Missouri the statute of limitations on written accounts is 10 years, however it begins to run after the last transaction. So if you used the card at all within the last 10 years the old debt remains collectible.

  2. Michael A. Goldstein

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Depending upon the Statute of Limitations and the last time you made a payment on this account, you may have a valid defense should a case be filed in court. If however, a case has already been filed and a default judgment entered, the Statute of limitations is not as much an issue. With that said, if Discover has turned this collection over to a third party, and they are contacting you several times a day in a harassing manner, then you may be able to bring a claim under the Fair Debt Collections Practices Act. Finally, if you have several other debts that are also going to cause you trouble; you may want to consider filing for bankruptcy.

    Your best bet is to consult with a local debt relief attorney who can advise you based upon both the local rules and your situation as to what is in your best interest.

  3. Gary D. Bollinger

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You wrote, " On 5-1-2001, my husband took my Discover card & made a Cash Advance for $3,000.00. Unaware of transaction, I received a statement for that amount"

    Did you dispute the charge in June of 2001?
    If not, it is a bit late to complain of notice.

    As attorney Goldstein wrote, consider bankruptcy or consumer law actions.

Related Topics


There are different types of debt, but all involve one person (the debtor) owing money to another (the creditor). Terms of repayment are governed by a contract.

Criminal charges for harassment

Harassment describes a variety of repetitive behaviors that threaten, disturb, or upset someone. Harassment includes unwanted sexual advances and stalking.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

19,546 answers this week

2,559 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

19,546 answers this week

2,559 attorneys answering