Can I stop a garnishment and my tax refund being taken?

Knoxville, TN |

Currently my paycheck is being garnished and my refund from my taxes has been taken. How can I stop this? This is from non repayment of student loans.

Yes, contact the current servicer of your loans and enter into their "rehab" program. Usually, you have to make direct payments in a certain amount for a year. This will stop garnishment and seizure of any refunds.

Once a lender has you in the corner like this, you may have to reassess your priorities in order to resolve this issue. I am confident you will not be happy with any offer you may receive from the lender. The only other option might be a Chapter 13 bankruptcy, where you could have up to 5 years to structure a repayment of this debt.

Hope this perspective helps!

1. Full payment of student loans.

2. Set withholding to aim at zero potential annual refund, or a few dollars above that level.

3. Chapter 13 bankruptcy

Curt Harrington Patent & Tax Law Attorney Certified Tax Specialist by the California Board of Legal Specialization PATENTAX.COM This communication is general information and not legal advice, and does not create an attorney-client relationship. This communication should not be relied upon as any type of legal advice. Please note that no attorney-client relationship exists between the sender and the recipient of this message in the absence of either (1) a signed fee contract and (2) remission of an agreed-upon retainer. Absent such an agreement and retainer, I am not engaged by you as an attorney, nor is any other member of my law firm.