Can I stop a garnishment and my tax refund being taken?

Asked over 2 years ago - Knoxville, TN

Currently my paycheck is being garnished and my refund from my taxes has been taken. How can I stop this? This is from non repayment of student loans.

1. Jason Wade Barnette

4

Answered . Yes, contact the current servicer of your loans and enter into their "rehab" program. Usually, you have to make direct payments in a certain amount for a year. This will stop garnishment and seizure of any refunds.

2. Dorothy G Bunce

Pro

2

Answered . Once a lender has you in the corner like this, you may have to reassess your priorities in order to resolve this issue. I am confident you will not be happy with any offer you may receive from the lender. The only other option might be a Chapter 13 bankruptcy, where you could have up to 5 years to structure a repayment of this debt.

Hope this perspective helps!

3. Curtis Lamar Harrington Jr

2

Answered . 1. Full payment of student loans.

2. Set withholding to aim at zero potential annual refund, or a few dollars above that level.

3. Chapter 13 bankruptcy