Can i still qualify to become a cna in california with a felony?

Asked over 1 year ago - Eureka, CA

I was 18 got into drugs beat some girl up and took her stuff. I've been clean for over 2 years now and have two more boys and a fiance. I have my life on track and need to get a career started but i'm afraid that a felony will prevent me from doing almost anything! If i cannot be a cna is there any good paying careers that a felon can persue?

1. Tai Christopher Bogan

Pro

2

Answered . Your will probably have difficulty getting clearance if you have a robbery on your record. However, this question is outside my area of practice. I suggested you ask Christine McCall this question. I will also move your question to the licensing sections.

http://www.avvo.com/attorneys/91101-ca-christin...

The above information does not establish an attorney client relationship nor is it meant to provide legal advice.
  2. Christine C McCall

Pro

1

Answered . You have a difficult challenge ahead of you to cause the State to allow you the privilege to work as a CNA at this time. In general, State licenses, certificates and credentials are very difficult to obtain if there is criminal history (misdemeanor or felony) and especially if the criminal history involves allegations of drugs, alcohol abuse, violence, sexual or child abuse, theft, fraud or misrepresentation.

Your capability to obtain State certification becomes less difficult over time (so long as there are no additional offenses during that time), but 2 years is usually not considered by State administrative staff to constitute a sufficient period of time to show rehabilitation.

If you can work at steady and responsible employment, stay drug-free, and avoid any further criminal offenses (even arrests), in another 2 - 3 years you will be in a stronger position to apply.