Can I still proceed with a divorce after a purge hearing has been set?

Ocala, FL |
Filed under: Divorce Divorce court

March of 2012 I filed for divorce and I did not know what to I thought I had to wait for my ex husband to respond to the divorce its been almost a year and the just schduled a purge hearing what should I do. I would still like to proceed with the divorce.

1. Did you ever serve him? What you need to do is get a lawyer.

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ******

2. You need to consult with and retain an attorney. If he wasn't properly served or if he was and failed to respond (and you did nothing else), the case may be getting dismissed for inactivity. Many attorneys, including my office, offer free initial consultations.

Should you wish to discuss this matter further, my office offers free initial telephone consultations. During the consultation, we can discuss the particulars of your situation in depth, as well as explore your potential rights and options. If you would like to coordinate a free initial telephone consultation, please contact my office at 407-971-6140 or 352-324-2444 to schedule same.

Please note that THESE COMMENTS ARE NOT INTENDED AS LEGAL ADVICE and are for informational purposes only. This response is not intended to create any attorney-client relationship and is only based on the limited facts given. The response might change should additional facts be learned and should not be relied on as legal advice. It is recommended that you consult with an attorney who can properly assess the situation, as well as all pertinent facts, prior to taking any action based on the foregoing statements.

Joanna Mitchell
    Mitchell & Associates, P.A.
    614 E. Hwy 50, Suite 327
    Clermont, FL 34711-3164
    PH: (352) 324-2444
    FX: (352) 324-2229
    Email: jmitchell@mitchell-pa.com
    Web: www.mitchell-pa.com