Can I still keep my maiden name?

Seaside, CA |

I got married yesterday and my marriage license shows my maiden name and my name change to my husbands at the bottom removing my maiden name. Is it officially changed? Or can i keep my maiden name, does it matter, do i need a new marriage license with the name change removed?

1. You probably need a new license with your maiden name or hyphanated last name. The use of your husbands last name is the archaic form of ownership used in Europe where wifes were chattel of their husbands. It is time we switch to the Hispanic version where the child gets the last name of both parents and the same for the bride and groom because the last name really reflects that the parties now belong to two families. Isn't that what it is all about?

My name is Stephen R. Cohen and I have practiced over 38 years and can be reached at 213-819-1171. I practiced mainly in Los Angeles and Orange County, California. I am not seeking clients from existing relationships with other attorneys, and give only limited advise over the phone (the phone is primarily used to set appointments), these services do not create an attorney client relationship. I apologize for mispelling< as I am a lousy typist, My answers may offend as I do not believe in pulling punches or sugar coating the truth. Further regarding courts in other states my opinions are largely based on logic and what I think is the modern trend which is to consider the needs of the child.

2. I agree with my colleague. But I need to add that Greece is maybe the inky European country that in 1983 change their civil code and women keep their maiden name. In the U.S the system remains that your name now is your husband last name.
    I will suggest to check with the clerk in the place u married . An important moment was when you filled up the papers before you married or before signing the license . Check under what name you signed. As my colleague said you probably need a new license with your maiden name or hyphanated last name.

Disclaimer: The information contained in this website is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as a legal advice on any subject. No recipients of content from this site,clients or otherwise,should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any content included in the site without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from an attorney licensed in the recipient's state. The content of this website contains general information and may not reflect current legal developments, verdicts or settlements. The Karamanlis Powers Law Offices expressly disclaims all liability in respect to actions taken or not taken based on any or all of the contents of this website, weblogs, twitter, facebook, google+.