Can I still keep my maiden name?

Asked over 1 year ago - Seaside, CA

I got married yesterday and my marriage license shows my maiden name and my name change to my husbands at the bottom removing my maiden name. Is it officially changed? Or can i keep my maiden name, does it matter, do i need a new marriage license with the name change removed?

1. Stephen Ross Cohen

1

Answered . You probably need a new license with your maiden name or hyphanated last name. The use of your husbands last name is the archaic form of ownership used in Europe where wifes were chattel of their husbands. It is time we switch to the Hispanic version where the child gets the last name of both parents and the same for the bride and groom because the last name really reflects that the parties now belong to two families. Isn't that what it is all about?

2. Athina Karamanlis Powers

Pro

1

Answered . I agree with my colleague. But I need to add that Greece is maybe the inky European country that in 1983 change their civil code and women keep their maiden name. In the U.S the system remains that your name now is your husband last name.
    I will suggest to check with the clerk in the place u married . An important moment was when you filled up the papers before you married or before signing the license . Check under what name you signed. As my colleague said you probably need a new license with your maiden name or hyphanated last name.