Can I still hire a private attorney after I've qualified for court appointed counsel?

Hampton, VA |

Recently, I qualified for court appointed counsel, had a meeting with my lawyer and was not impressed. A close friend has offered to pay the bill so I can hire a new attorney. Is it possible for me to switch lawyers like this or am I stuck with the court appointed counsel?

1. You are able to retain private counsel. A simple substitution order is all that is needed. I would be happy to offer you a free consultation.

Please remember that if you find an answer particularly helpful, please mark it as helpful or "best answer" so that the attorneys who volunteer their time to answer these questions have feedback. This answer is only for informational purposes, is not legal advice, and does not create an attorney-client relationship. Every case is different and must be judged on its own unique facts.

2. Yes, if you have the ability to retain private counsel you absolutely should, and can.

3. You have the right to have counsel of your choosing. When the court appoints counsel, you are saddled with whoever they appoint, however, the judge will allow private counsel to substitute in and relieve your court appointed attorney of their responsibilities.

This is not intended to be legal advice: it is for general informational or educational purposes only. For a free consultation, visit www.dischleylaw.com.

4. Of course. You are free to hire your lawyer of choice.

5. Absolutely

ANDREW ROBERTS CRIMINAL AND TRAFFIC TICKET DEFENSE ATTORNEY

Civil rights topics