Skip to main content

Can I still get a tax return, while owing back child support?

Gainesville, FL |

In december of last year I was informed that I had a 6 year old son, I was then asked to take a paternity test which did prove that the child was mine. I was then told by the Flordia Revenue Office that I owed a little under 10,000 dollars in back child support. I thought to myself WOW! How is that possible when i'm just finding out about this. The real problem is that I have been married with 2 kids the pass 3 years and have been supporting them, my wife has been a stay at home mom while I take care of the bills. I was told by the Florida Revenue Office that my tax return will be taken if I don't get the back support under 5,000 dollars. I do pay child support now it is taken directly from my check. What can I do about this? My wife cannot file because she doesn't work and I have claimed her and the kids the passed 2 years. Is there any way I can fight this so I can get back a tax return this tax season.

Attorney Answers 1


The mechanism for using your tax refund to pay back child support is not the source of your problem. The child support amount determination is your problem. Taking your refund is just a way to force you to pay the child support. You need to find a family lawyer, who can help you challenge the child support amount. Good luck, and let me know if you need any help locating a family lawyer.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Child support topics

Recommended articles about Child support

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics