Can I still get a concealed carry permit with a felony charge with no conviction?

2 years ago I was charged with felony theft but had it dropped down to a misdemeanor since it was my first no-no. I've haven't been in trouble since then and would like to get my concealed carry permit. I was never convicted of the felony, but did enter a guilty plea for the misdemeanor theft, would I still be able to obtain a permit? This isn't a crime of violence so to my understanding I should be able to, but I just want to make sure.

New Orleans, LA -

Stephen Ross Cohen

Stephen Ross Cohen

Criminal Defense Attorney - Rancho Palos Verdes, CA

In California yes, in most states a misdemeanor does not disqualify you, but you have to apply for a permit and generally a good reason must be given

Michael Douglas Shafer

Michael Douglas Shafer

Criminal Defense Attorney - Norco, CA

I suggest to you that the impetus for requesting the permit be a legitimate purpose. In California, it would be possible and we have the strictest gun laws in the country.