Can I still file for spousal maintenance?

Garland, TX |

My spouse and I have been married ten years as of July. He moved out in March and our divorce is not final yet. Am I able to ask for spousal maintenance still?

If you have an attorney, that is the place to start. If you do not, you need to consult with a family law attorney right away to make sure you have not waived your rights!

In Colorado, a failure to ask for maintenance from the start makes a future request difficult. Colorado is not Texas so you need a Texas answer!

In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but insted need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice. If you want to be completely sure of your rights, you must sit down with an experienced criminal defense attorney to be fully aware of your rights.

Talk to an attorney and get some advice about the specifics of your situation. Spousal maintenance is strictly defined by statute and may be obtained if you meet the requirements. You have to plead for it and ask the court to grant it to you.

I am not intending this to be legal advice, because I don't know the particulars of your situation. Call me if you would like to discuss this or other isues.

Recommended articles about Family law