Can I still file a Partition Action if one of the co-owners of the property is named the Personal Representative of the estate?

Asked over 1 year ago - Honolulu, HI

I am looking to sell a home that my siblings and I inherited from my mother. I want to file a Partition Action in order to force to sell the property or if not be bought out by my other siblings. I didn't know what I was signing because I trusted one of my siblings but i signed a paper approving that this sibling be the Personal Representative of the Estate and also appointed Special Administrator. Can I still file a Partition Action?

1. Joseph Franklin Pippen Jr.

Pro

4

Best Answer

Answered . Once the property is distributed to you(your share)-you can seek a partition sale.
    Prior to the distribution-you would need an attorney to represent you in probate court
    to force a sale of the property. It could be better just to have your attorney negoiate this matter for you.

2. James P. Frederick

2

Answered . Perhaps. But what is the PR's plan to handle this? If the PR is going to sell it anyway, I would just let him/her. If there is not going to be a sale from the estate, then once the property is deeded out to the beneficiaries, that would be the time to file for partition.

James Frederick

3. Steven J. Fromm

2

Answered . You broke rule number 1 when it comes to legal matters. Never ever give up control if you do not have to. You broke rule number 2: Never sign a legal document without talking with your OWN attorney. So now you must hire your own attorney to see what your legal options may be at this point.