Can I still claim unreturned security deposit after cashing a check that says full payment?

Asked about 1 year ago - Valley Stream, NY

I did not cash the check yet, just wondering if I can. Landlord returned a fraction of the security deposit and is making statements in her outline that are false for withholding. I can prove each one but the money that was returned, can I still cash although it says full payment? I already opened the case, but it was opened after the check was sent and therefore has a earlier date. A letter was sent a letter asking if I can please cash the check. I see this as a red flag.

1. Bruno Patrick Bianchi

5

Answered . You should not cash the check until you appear in court.

2. Eric Edward Rothstein

5

Answered . Do not cash or deposit the check or you will give the landlord a defense called satisfaction and accord.

3. Steven Warren Smollens

3

Answered . Dear Valley Stream Tenant:

Hire an attorney. Cashing the check is a "settlement."

Because the landlord is holding on to your money, you are right about proving her false statements, but you have the right to do that when you sue for the full return of the security deposit.

Of course, being right, is never a guarantee of success, and Small Claims Court, is still a court. If you have evidence of the condition of the home when you moved out, that should be enough.

If you mean you already have started the Small Claims Court case, then I expect that you would consider full settlement all that you sued for.

Good luck,