Can I stay with an expired I-94 while waiting for a change of status from b2 to f1?

Asked over 1 year ago - Chicago, IL

Ive been here in the US for 3 months now, I still have 3 more months of legal stay so I'm gonna be expiring on April. This is my 2nd time visiting the US. I didn't mention to the port of entry that I am going to see some schools or planning to change my status eventually because it wasn't really the plan so I don't have the Prospective Student annotation. But then I've decided now to have a COS from B2 to F1. I am planning to file a COS a month before I expire and will it be fine if I stay here while waiting for the results even if my I-94 expires? Am I more likely get disapproved? I'm scared that because I dont have the annotation and I have 4months gap from the expiry date from the start of semester they might disapprove my application. Its gonna be a waste of time and money. PLS help!

1. Stephen D. Berman

2

Answered . You are allowed to remain in the U.S. for the duration of your application for change of status, as long as you file the application while in status.

2. J Charles Ferrari

2

Answered . Only if the change of status was timely filed.

3. Christian Schmidt

1

Answered . You can remain in the US if the application was timely the application.