Skip to main content

Can I stay in USA after applying for I-130

San Jose, CA |

I will be completing 6 years on H1B in next 11 months. IF my SIL (US citizen) files for my GC in family -4 category, (which has 10 years back current date) will I be able to stay in USA after I complete my 6 years of H1B, or I have to leave the country till the date for the GC processing becomes current.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


No. A pending or approved I-130 petition does not permit the beneficiary to remain in the United States if an immigrant visa is not immediately available. I am not sure what you mean by "SIL", but if it means sister-in-law, you should understand that only a U.S citizen brother or sister can file a 4th preference visa petition, not a brother or sister's spouse. You should discuss visa options, the possibility of your employer's filing a PERM labor certification application before your H-1B maxes out, and the possibility of your departing prior to the end of your H-1B to see if you might be able to return sooner and get additional extensions of H-1B status if the PERM is pending for 365 days or more. This is a complex area, so get a consultation soon with a very experienced and knowledgeable immigration attorney.

Scott D. Pollock
Scott D. Pollock & Associates, P.C.
105 W. Madison, Suite 2200
Chicago, IL 60602
(312) 444-1940
fax: (312) 444-1950

Please visit our renovated website at, which allows client access to case status, enhanced information on services, and other convenient features.

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer