Skip to main content

Can I stay in the US on a legal EAD work permit after divorce . Iam on a L2 visa?

Granby, CT |

I move to the USA 3years ago with my husband which came on a L1 and I on a L2 visa. Now were are getting divorce. Will I be able to keep working until my EAD working permit time's out.???

Attorney Answers 4


your L-2 status and EAD are directly as a result of you being your L-1husband's dependent-spouse. Once you are no longer his wife (meaning a final divorce sentence) you will not have any right to either any longer.. Let's hope it is going to be a long and protracted divorce..

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

Mark as helpful

5 lawyers agree


If you are divorced you will not be able to do either since your status and work authorization are based on your marriage.

Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104

Mark as helpful

5 lawyers agree


No. You status is no loner valid. Since the divorce finalized, you have reasonable time to leave the country.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


I highly recommend you consult with a lawyer about your own immigration options BEFORE you get a divorce, so that in case something could be done to keep you in this country on another status, you do so before you fall out of status (before the divorce)

This answer is provided for general education purposes only and is not intended to provide, nor does it provide, any legal advice.   By viewing this answer you understand and expressly agree that there is no attorney-client relationship between you and the attorney who authored the answer.  Should you need legal advice, please contact a licensed attorney who practices in this area.  Readers of this answer and the information contained herein should not act upon any information contained in this answer without seeking legal counsel.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree

Employment topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics