Skip to main content

Can I stay in the US and file for a Green Card?

Loveland, OH |

Me and my husband got married 6 months ago. I am in the US right now and don't want to go back home (The Netherlands) What can I do so I don't have to go back to the Netherlands and file for the Green Card. Can I just change adjustment of status or do I have to go through a certain process. Help!

Attorney Answers 4

  1. If you entered with a visa or using ESTA in most instances you may be permitted to obtain residence in the US.

    There are issues particularly with ESTA. You should meet with an immigration attorney before proceeding.

  2. If you entered the US lawfully and your husband is a US citizen, you can adjust status here, assuming you are otherwise eligible. Consult with an immigration attorney. Good luck.

    The answers offered here are purely informational and do not create an attorney-client relationship. For more detailed information or to schedule a consultation please contact our office at (718) 924-2896.

  3. Did you enter the USA with a visa? Or did you enter under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP)? If you entered by simply presenting your Netherlands passport, and no visa, then you most likely entered under the VWP.

    You most likely are eligible to apply for permanent resident (green card) status without leaving the USA, but you need to be especially careful if you entered on the VWP, because if that is the case, then you will not have any rights of appeal if your green card application is denied.

    I strongly suggest that you consult with an experienced immigration attorney about your case.

    Michael Carlin
    Immigration Attorney

    Law Office of Michael Carlin PLLC
    3365 Washtenaw Avenue, Suite 209
    Ann Arbor, Michigan 48104
    Phone: 734.369.3131
    Fax: 734.259.4801
    Website: Sitio en español:

    (734) 369-3131. This communication does not establish and attorney-client relationship with the Law Office of Michael Carlin PLLC or any individual member of the office. Confidential information should not be sent through this form.

  4. The answer is likely yes but you should resolve some eligibility questions with your lawyer before you file. The primary issue is the type of visa you used to enter. There are only a few that don't permit adjusting status and your probably didn't use one but you should know before you file. As wel, if you used the visa waiver program to enter, you should be working hard to file asap as the longer you're out of status the more scrutiny CIS gives you case. If you're interested in retaining counsel feel free to contact us.

Marriage and prenups topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics