Skip to main content

Can i start my 4 month dui suspension right after my first recorders court hearing?

Lawrenceville, GA |

This is my first offense dui, and i am in georgia. My recorders court hearing is on january 27, 2011, can i go ahead and plead guilty at this hear and go ahead and start my 4 month suspension?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


If you plead guilty at your arraignment, your license will be immediately suspended, whether or not you want it to happen then. However, you should never simply plead guilty to a DUI without consulting an attorney first. Your attorney may be able to drastically shorten the length of any suspension (if not eliminate altogether), get your fines reduced, and possibly even keep you from having a DUI conviction at all, depending on the circumstances of your stop. Going it alone on a DUI charge is the fastest way to get royally screwed - trust me!
Please let me know if I can be of further assistance. I would be happy to help.


M. Jason Rhoades


While you can certainly plead guilty at your hearing, you should seek advice of a lawyer first. Here's why: Depending on whether you took the State test or not, you might be able to reinstate your license, as well as get a limited permit, or not; your license could be suspended for a year without a limited permit! Also, there will be a sentence along with license suspension. Best advice is to at least consult a lawyer to see whether there are any possible defenses.

Mickey Roberts


In addition to the above responses, if you refused the state test and you were served a DDS form 1205, you may have your license suspended without the opportunity to get a work permit. If you refused the state test and your license was surrendered, you will need to resolve the administrative issue before entering any guilty plea on the DUI. Most DUI defense attorneys offer a free initial consultation. You should speak with an attorney about your case before entering a plea because the administrative license suspension can get very complicated.

Get Avvo’s 3-part DUI email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

DUI topics

Recommended articles about DUI

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer