Skip to main content

Can I sponsor my parents without h1b stamping?

Las Vegas, NV |

I came to US on f2 and has changed status to h1b,but hasn't got it stamped.My f2 visa got expired on May,2013.I want to sponsor a visit visa for my mother.Is there any chance of rejection of a visiting visa because of the expiration of my f2 visa,as I need to send a copy of my passport with a visa.
My wife is on OPT and has a valid i20 till August 2014,but even her f1 visa got expired on may 2013.
Who would be a sponsor among both of us for my mother to get a visit visa to united states??

Attorney Answers 3


Are you in status on the H? If so, then you can just send the new I-94. Talk to an attorney, as their visa will have more to do with their immigrant intent than with your visa. I would think your status and support will have very little bearing on their case and they will need to qualify independently. Good luck.

This communication should not be construed to create an attorney client relationship. All information provided is for general informational purposes only. You should not rely on any general information provided to make important legal decisions affecting your life and you should instead consult with an attorney. During any private consultation, a competent attorney will review your particular situation, research the specific legal provisions that apply, and create an individualized case plan for you and your family.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


Neither. Tourist visa requires no sponsorship.

The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter,not should it be viewed as establishing an attorney client relationship of any kind.

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree


Not necessary, and even if you did, such "sponsorship" will have very little bearing on parents' ability to obtain visitor visas, since they need to qualify on their own merits by showing both substantial ties to their home country and intent to depart the US after a temporary visit.

Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics