Skip to main content

Can I sponsor my nephew to immigrate to the US? I am a naturalized US citizen.

Los Angeles, CA |

I am a U.S. citizen and would like to sponsor my nephew and his wife to migrate to the U.S.
What are the requirements?

Attorney Answers 3


A US citizen can only sponsor the following: Spouse, Parent, Unmarried Child Under 21, Unmarried Son/Daughter 21 & over, Married Son/Daughter, and Brother/Sister.

Please note: This information is general in nature and is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice. This post does not create any attorney-client relationship between us. For specific advice about your particular situation, consult an attorney.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful


Unfortunately, you cannot sponsor your nephew as a family member. As sponsorship is limited to children, parents, spouses and siblings. You may be able to sponsor him as an employee if you have a business and he has the relevant skills or experience.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful


The previous responses are correct under a "Family Visa Petition," you cannot petition for a nephew to immigrate to the U.S.

However, does your nephew have any kind of specialized education or training that may enable him to enter the US under some type of employment visa?

Alternatively, does your nephew have any interest in purchasing or starting a business in the US? If so, he may be able to obtain a Treaty Trader Visa.

You should consult with an experienced immigration attorney to explore all available options for your nephew.

Stanley Dale Radtke, Esq.
220 Montgomery Street, Suite 416
San Francisco, CA 94104

Mark as helpful

Education law topics

Recommended articles about Education law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics