Can I sponsor an immigrant petition?

Asked about 2 years ago - San Antonio, TX

I want to know if someone with a Temporary green card residency status can sponsor an immigrant petition. My cousin from Ghana is married to a US citizen and both of them are not working presently, Can i sponsor the marriage application even though I have a Temporary green card Status.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. 10

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I think you mean can you sign the affidavit of support. Yes you can if you earn sufficient income.

  2. 10

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You seem to be asking if you can sign an affidavit of support as a "joint sponsor" and if you are a conditional, lawful permanent resident, you can.

    The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an... more
  3. 7

    Lawyers agree


    Answered . If you mean can you sign their I-864 Affidavit of Support, yes. Be aware, however, that by doing so, you assume some financial risk that your cousin's spouse will need government assistance when s/he comes to the U.S.

    You should always consult with an experienced immigration attorney to make certain that the advice you received is... more
One or more answers have been taken down.

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Family based green card

Citizens and permanent residents may sponsor their relatives for permanent residence in the United States.

Danielle Nelisse

Green Card Marriage Interview

The immigration interview husbands and wives are required to attend in order to get the foreign spouse their green card (lawful permanent residence) through marriage can be very anxiety... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

32,557 answers this week

3,656 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

32,557 answers this week

3,656 attorneys answering