Can I sign someone from the Philippines to be a recording artist for my label?

Saginaw, MI |

I found a lot of determined people in the Philippines who looking for a job, so I figured I can jump start my label by signing people as artists to get ball rolling. Do the Philippines have the same music laws there as here in the US? Can I sign the recording artist as a independent contractor?

Avvo is a site for US lawyers. We would have to research Philippine law or have a branch office there to compare copyright law. However, at the very least you really complicate things legally.Generally, the Philippines has similar copyright laws, and a strong IP legal system, so if the distance it's not a problem, I see no particular reason you could not do what you purpose. Hire a U.S. lawyer to communicate with Philippine lawyers and this should work okay for you.

I am not your lawyer and you are not my client. Free advice here is without recourse and any reliance thereupon is at your sole risk. This is done without compensation as a free public service. I am licensed in IL, MO, TX and I am a Reg. Pat. Atty. so advice in any other jurisdiction is strictly general advice and should be confirmed with an attorney licensed in that jurisdiction.

2. You want o start a recording label? You need to hire an Entertainment Layer or at least have him in your speed dial, way before you sign up anybody.
    The law of each country/jurisdiction are different but you attorney will take care of it, this is not an area that you could navigate without expert advise

USPTO Registered Patent Attorney, Master of Intellectual Property law, MBA I am neither your attorney, nor my answers or comments in AVVO.com create an attorney-client relationship with you. You may accept or disregard my free advice in AVVO.com at your own risk. I am a Patent Attorney, admitted to the USPTO and to the Florida Bar.

3. Read a few books about how to start a record label [visit the link below] and then speak with an entertainment attorney about forming the company and an immigration attorney about hiring workers from overseas. Good luck.

The above is general information ONLY and is not legal advice, does not form an attorney-client relationship, and should NOT be relied upon to take or refrain from taking any action. I am not your attorney. You should seek the advice of competent counsel before taking any action related to your inquiry.

4. It depends where the contract will be enforced. For example, if the contract is written and enforceable under New York law, then whatever rights and obligations the parties have will be held to that standand. Unless you want to be obligated under the laws of the Phillipines, keep it in the states.

Trademark infringement topics