Can I sign someone from the Philippines to be a recording artist for my label?

Asked 11 months ago - Saginaw, MI

I found a lot of determined people in the Philippines who looking for a job, so I figured I can jump start my label by signing people as artists to get ball rolling. Do the Philippines have the same music laws there as here in the US? Can I sign the recording artist as a independent contractor?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Bruce E. Burdick


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . Avvo is a site for US lawyers. We would have to research Philippine law or have a branch office there to compare copyright law. However, at the very least you really complicate things legally.Generally, the Philippines has similar copyright laws, and a strong IP legal system, so if the distance it's not a problem, I see no particular reason you could not do what you purpose. Hire a U.S. lawyer to communicate with Philippine lawyers and this should work okay for you.

    I am not your lawyer and you are not my client. Free advice here is without recourse and any reliance thereupon is... more
  2. Mario Sergio Golab

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . You want o start a recording label? You need to hire an Entertainment Layer or at least have him in your speed dial, way before you sign up anybody.
    The law of each country/jurisdiction are different but you attorney will take care of it, this is not an area that you could navigate without expert advise

    USPTO Registered Patent Attorney, Master of Intellectual Property law, MBA I am neither your attorney, nor my... more
  3. Daniel Nathan Ballard

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Read a few books about how to start a record label [visit the link below] and then speak with an entertainment attorney about forming the company and an immigration attorney about hiring workers from overseas. Good luck.

    The above is general information ONLY and is not legal advice, does not form an attorney-client relationship, and... more
  4. Abdul-Wali Abdullah Muhammad

    Contributor Level 3

    Answered . It depends where the contract will be enforced. For example, if the contract is written and enforceable under New York law, then whatever rights and obligations the parties have will be held to that standand. Unless you want to be obligated under the laws of the Phillipines, keep it in the states.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,824 answers this week

2,752 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,824 answers this week

2,752 attorneys answering

Legal Dictionary

Don't speak legalese? We define thousands of terms in plain English.

Browse our legal dictionary