Can I sign someone from the Philippines to be a recording artist for my label?

Asked over 1 year ago - Saginaw, MI

I found a lot of determined people in the Philippines who looking for a job, so I figured I can jump start my label by signing people as artists to get ball rolling. Do the Philippines have the same music laws there as here in the US? Can I sign the recording artist as a independent contractor?

1. Bruce E. Burdick

Pro

4

1

Best Answer

Answered . Avvo is a site for US lawyers. We would have to research Philippine law or have a branch office there to compare copyright law. However, at the very least you really complicate things legally.Generally, the Philippines has similar copyright laws, and a strong IP legal system, so if the distance it's not a problem, I see no particular reason you could not do what you purpose. Hire a U.S. lawyer to communicate with Philippine lawyers and this should work okay for you.

2. Mario Sergio Golab

6

1

Answered . You want o start a recording label? You need to hire an Entertainment Layer or at least have him in your speed dial, way before you sign up anybody.
    The law of each country/jurisdiction are different but you attorney will take care of it, this is not an area that you could navigate without expert advise

3. Daniel Nathan Ballard

3

Answered . Read a few books about how to start a record label [visit the link below] and then speak with an entertainment attorney about forming the company and an immigration attorney about hiring workers from overseas. Good luck.

4. Abdul-Wali Abdullah Muhammad

Answered . It depends where the contract will be enforced. For example, if the contract is written and enforceable under New York law, then whatever rights and obligations the parties have will be held to that standand. Unless you want to be obligated under the laws of the Phillipines, keep it in the states.