Can I show up for court early?

Asked over 1 year ago - Conroe, TX

I got a citation for failing to change my address on my Texas drivers license. I went online and changed it afterwards. I know when showing up in court I can have the citation dismissed with a proof of the change, but do I have to wait until my court date? I live a few hours away and will be traveling out of state the week of the actual date. Can I just go in a week or two instead. I only signed a piece of paper that said I would show up on or before the date. Thanks!

Additional information

Edit: A secondary question, but if I can't show up on an earlier date, would paying the $145 fine online or by mail early make it so I dont have to show up.


Attorney answers (2)

  1. Robbie Sue Barker

    Contributor Level 3


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Some courts only dismiss cases when there is a prosecutor actually there during court. Most courts in Montgomery County only have prosecutors available on certain days of the month. However, if it is Conroe Municipality, that prosecutor is usually there every day of the week. It is always better to get a traffic ticket dismissed rather than pay the ticket because the conviction can affect your license. For traffic offenses, an attorney can appear on your behalf and you do not need to be there. If you cannot appear, my advice is to hire an attorney to take care of it for you.

  2. Michael R Crosner

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Check with the court clerk. Since the paper you signed said "on or before" should be able to request the clerk to advance the case. Just paying it via on line or by mail is probably not sufficient - have to show proof of the change of address. You cloud also have a local traffic ticket attorney appear for you.

    This is not intended to be legal advise or as legal representation. I am a California personal injury attorney .... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

21,668 answers this week

2,708 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

21,668 answers this week

2,708 attorneys answering