Can I share my attorney emails with someone else?

Dallas, TX |

My attorney sent me a terribly condescending and spiteful email accusing me of fraud and threatening the apparent intentional (on his part) loss of my case. He conveniently states in the opening line that this email is strictly between he and I, then goes on to bash me. I really need other's opinions, but under client-attorney privilege, I am forbidden from sharing the email between my attorney and myself with others?

You own the privilege, not your attorney. Speak to a (different) local attorney. Also, if your relationship with your lawyer has broken down this badly I would recommend firing your current lawyer and retaining new counsel anyway.

IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER HELPFUL PLEASE CAN THANK ATTORNEY MEMMEN BY MARKING IT “BEST ANSWER” or “HELPFUL.” Mr Memmen is donating his time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal information. THIS IS NOT A CONSULTATION and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. Alexander Memmen recommends that you always consult – in person – with a local attorney before taking any action.

Do not share the email with a non-lawyer, as that could mean that the email would have to be shown to the other side. However, you CAN show it to another attorney. You always have the right to have a second attorney review the work of your attorney. That is the only safe way to handle the controversy.

This is not legal advice. You should always discuss the specifics of your issue in person with an attorney. Be aware that there are time limits on all claims that depend on the kind of claim, so do not delay in seeking an attorney.

You are not forbidden from sharing it. Be aware, however, of the potential consequences. I would recommend only discussing the emails, at this point, with another attorney that is either representing you or potentially might represent you.