Can I serve someone at their workplace?

Asked over 1 year ago - New York, NY

I am suing someone for unpaid services rendered. I have there address at work but not their home address. Can I serve them at work?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Robert A. Stumpf

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . A defendant "can" usually be served pretty much anywhere (with exceptions), but the plaintiff himself can't do the serving, it has to be a third party.

  2. Benjamin J Lieberman

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Yes

  3. William Joseph Balena

    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You can so long as you are the person who is owed the money. If you are a third party collector, or a law firm (you should know this) doing anything with the employer to collect a debt it might be construed as a fair debt collection practices law violation.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,547 answers this week

2,867 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,547 answers this week

2,867 attorneys answering

Legal Dictionary

Don't speak legalese? We define thousands of terms in plain English.

Browse our legal dictionary