Can I serve my spouse the divorce papers?

Asked over 2 years ago - Bronx, NY

Can I serve my spouse the divorce papers or somebody else has to do it?

1. Elazar Aryeh

1

Answered . Since you are an interested party, you cannot, in this situation, serve your husband.

You should have a third party, most preferably a process server, serve your husband and have him file the Affidavit of Service with Court. You must give a current picture of your husband to the process server so he can serve him personally.

2. Philip Adam Kusnetz

Pro

1

Answered . No. You are a party to the action. A non-interested adult must serve the papers upon your spouse.

I recommend that you use a licensed process server. I also recommend that you consult with an attorney, as divorce is a complicated matter.

3. Jill Marie Zuccardy

1

Answered . You may not need to use a licensed process server. It depends on whether you can afford to use one (times are tough), and also on your relationship with your soon-to-be-ex-spouse. If s/he is not going to fight the divorce and won't say s/he never got the papers, you can choose to have a friend or relative serve him/her without too much risk of messing up the case.

The key is to make sure that the person who serves (1) can identify him/her (knows him/her); (2) asks him/her if she is in the military (weird question but it is required) and (2) fills out an affidavit of service in front of a notary, immediately. There is a form for the affidavit of service on the Unified Court System website.

4. Bari M. Lewis

Answered . No, you can't personally serve your spouse with divorce papers. Someone else needs to do it. Person serving papers has to be a process server or a person 18 years of age or older.