Can I send the I-864 affidavit of support electronically?

Oakland, CA |

I'm an Immigrant Visa Applicant and I currently have IV case pending at the National Visa center and they last requested from me the Affidavit of Support from joint sponsor.

you have to mail it in with supporting documents - need original signature

This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (718)234-5588.

It depends on your category. For example, if you are from Mexico and you are married to a US citizen your case number will begin with MEP. Those cases are processed electronically and we file all the applications and supporting documents electronically. You should have received instructions from the National Visa Center. If you file electronically, you need to take all original documents to the interview. When in doubt, consult with an experienced immigration attorney.

714-560-0040. The answer provided is general in nature and because not all facts are known, it should not be construed as legal advice. The answer does not create an attorney/client relationship.

You will note that you have gotten two different responses from my colleagues.

This is because the there is no one-way to file electronically.

Are you talking about filling in a form online? Are you talking about scanning and e-mailing forms? Are you talking about scanning & uploading forms?

The answer to your question is quite simple .... do exactly as instructed to do by the NVC ... don't try to do anything different from what they tell you to do.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

Recommended articles about Immigration