Can I send my biological son to Philippines as I process his Certificate of Citizenship? Any technical or legal consequences?

Asked 9 months ago - Corona, CA

I passed my interview for US Citizenship last November 5th, 2013 and I still have to take my oath by January 2014 which is a projection by the USCIS officer who interviewed me. I was told by the officer that I will receive my oath taking date within 2 to 3 weeks, however, oath taking might be pushed till January 2014 because of the holidays. I am planning of sending my son to study in the Philippines starting February 2014 wherein his Certificate of Citizenship will still be on process during that time, granting that I have taken my oath by January 2014.

Another question is - Will filing his Certificate of Citizenship be a better option than filing a Re-entry Permit.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Alexander Joseph Segal

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . A USC can return to the USA whenever he or she wishes. USA is his or her home country.

    The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed... more
  2. Carl Michael Shusterman


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . More facts are necessary to determine whether your son qualifies for US citizenship.

    Please see

    Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response... more
  3. F. J. Capriotti III

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You didn't tell us the boy's age ... nor any other facts about his status.

    I would suggest that he not leave the US until AFTER he has a certificate of citizenship AND a US passport.

    Plus, given the great schools that we have in the US .. you should discuss why he'd want to go to the Philippines for school.

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,680 answers this week

3,165 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,680 answers this week

3,165 attorneys answering