Can I send my biological son to Philippines as I process his Certificate of Citizenship? Any technical or legal consequences?

Asked 9 months ago - Corona, CA

I passed my interview for US Citizenship last November 5th, 2013 and I still have to take my oath by January 2014 which is a projection by the USCIS officer who interviewed me. I was told by the officer that I will receive my oath taking date within 2 to 3 weeks, however, oath taking might be pushed till January 2014 because of the holidays. I am planning of sending my son to study in the Philippines starting February 2014 wherein his Certificate of Citizenship will still be on process during that time, granting that I have taken my oath by January 2014.

Another question is - Will filing his Certificate of Citizenship be a better option than filing a Re-entry Permit.

1. Alexander Joseph Segal

5

Answered . A USC can return to the USA whenever he or she wishes. USA is his or her home country.

2. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

3

Answered . More facts are necessary to determine whether your son qualifies for US citizenship.

Please see

3. F. J. Capriotti III

2

Answered . You didn't tell us the boy's age ... nor any other facts about his status.

I would suggest that he not leave the US until AFTER he has a certificate of citizenship AND a US passport.

Plus, given the great schools that we have in the US .. you should discuss why he'd want to go to the Philippines for school.