Can I send in supplemental documents for my I-130?

Asked about 1 year ago - Honolulu, HI

My husband and I submitted our I-130 with a concurrent I-485 last week with our "temporary" marriage certificate, which is valid through October 2013. The State of Hawaii is notoriously slow to issue official marriage certificates and it can take up to 120 days to receive. Therefore they issue the temporary certificate within two days of the ceremony and you have to wait for the permanent certificate. Because of that, we submitted the temporary certificate with the I-130 application. However, we just received the official marriage certificate in the mail! Should we send a copy to USCIS or wait to see if they request it? Or take it to our interview?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Carl Michael Shusterman


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Bring it to your interview.

    Please click the link at the very bottom for additional information.

    Carl Shusterman, Esq.
    Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
    Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
    Schedule a Legal Consultation - Telephonic, Skype or In-Person
    600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
    Los Angeles, CA 90017
    (213) 394-4554 x0
    Web: (English) (Spanish)

    (213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration... more
  2. J Charles Ferrari

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You bring it to the interview, unless USCIS issues a request for evidence for it, in which case you submit it in response to that request.

    You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case. You can find one through

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not... more
  3. Wendy Rebecca Barlow

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You will need to bring both original certificates to the interview. You will submit a copy at the interview unless USCIS sends you a request for additional evidence.

    Wendy R. Barlow, Esq, The Law Offices of Grinberg & Segal, P.L.L.C., 111 Broadway, Suite 1306, New York NY 10006, (... more
  4. James P. Gagel

    Contributor Level 7

    Answered . Best to wait.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,365 answers this week

3,115 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,365 answers this week

3,115 attorneys answering