Can I Send Divorce Papers Via Certified Mail To His Current Address With A Return Envelope & What Papers Need To Be Included?

Asked about 2 years ago - Austin, TX

I live in a different state than my ex and was able to get an address for him and would like to just send the papers certified mail so he has to sign for them and send them back, in the envelope I have a copy of the petition as well as a waiver of service and the respondent answer papers should I include anything else

Attorney answers (2)

  1. 2

    Lawyers agree


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . I agree with Attorney Moore. If you guys can agree and not contest this divorce, this course of action will be fine. You may consider including a copy of a divorce decree or you can send that at a later date. Just a petition and a waiver of citation/entry of appearance are all that is needed in the immediate time.

    Keep in mind that if he refuses to sign, you may need to have him served with process.

  2. 3

    Lawyers agree


    Answered . That ought to be enough. Make sure the suit for divorce has been filed before you send the copy of the petition and the waiver

    I am not intending this to be legal advice, because I don't know the particulars of your situation. Call me if you... more

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

35,447 answers this week

3,799 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

35,447 answers this week

3,799 attorneys answering