Can I sell my son's car without having him sign the title if he is incarcerated?

Asked almost 5 years ago - Fort Dodge, IA

My son was arrested for 3rd offense OWI in IA. He lost his license for 6 yrs. and is looking at prison time. He has asked us to sell an old 1995 Tempo for $300. Does he have to sign the title to sell vehicle?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Henry Daniel Lively

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . He should sign the title or give you power of attorney to do so.

    Any individual seeking legal advice for their own situation should retain their own legal counsel as this response provides information that is general in nature and not specific to any person's unique situation. Circular 230 Disclaimer - Advice given in this response cannot be used to eliminate penalties with the IRS or any other governmental agency.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

22,851 answers this week

2,728 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

22,851 answers this week

2,728 attorneys answering