Skip to main content

Can I sell my house to my child for a $1?

Clearlake, CA |

My child is losing his job and I have property wholly owned, can I sell it to him for a $1, and free him from a gift tax on property worth 105,000.00?

Attorney Answers 3


The taxes would be assessed on the actual value of the property, not a sham sale for $104,999 less than the property is worth.

Mark as helpful


A reassessment of the property taxes may be avoided by filing a form with the county called a "Preliminary Change of Ownership" where in a reassessment exclusion for parent to child may be checked.

Mark as helpful


And see my answer to your other question.

Mark as helpful

Wills and estates topics

Recommended articles about Wills and estates

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics