Can I sell my house before mortgage is extinguished?

New York, NY |

In case I need to sell my house before the mortgage is extinguished, what happens?
Thanks a lot

I want to buy an apartment. Downpayment 50% of its price. The rest a 7 yearsmortgage. If I my job transfers me abroad and have to leave New York can I sell my house? Is it necessary that I extinguish the mortgage before selling?

1. The mortgage gets paid off at the closing from the sale proceeds.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

2. You can sellthe house, no problem. The mortgage will be paid off at the closing. But you should get a lawyer when you find a buyer

3. You get a payoff letter to bring to the closing and pay the mortgage from the proceeds of the sale. The balance is what you net from the sale.

This e-mail may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete this e-mail and all copies and attachments. If you are not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. IRS Circular 230 Notice: Unless specifically stated otherwise, any tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein. Unless specifically stated otherwise, this communication shall not be deemed to be legal or tax advice, and no attorney-client relationship shall be deemed to have been created.