Skip to main content

Can I self sponsor myself on I-134 (Affidavit of support)?

20001 |

I have enough funds to support myself for a temporary visit to US. I don't know anyone in US. Can I self sponsor myself on I 134? I read on the internet either sponsor or applicant has to show enough finances to support in the US.

Attorney Answers 3

  1. You are not expected to resort to that. In situations where the I-134 is needed, I.e the fiancée visa, petitioner has to guarantee that once let into the US, the foreign national will not become a public charge.

    This requirement does not seem to apply to your particular situation. If you want to apply for a visitor's visa to come on a temporary visit and you are an adult of working age, the an affidavit of support is not necessary.

    Instead, to qualify for a B1/B2 visitor's visa you have to prove "substantial" ties to your home country, in other words a good enough financial situation there, that will guarantee to the US consulate that you will indeed return to your home country after a temporary visit of the US. What they like to see is a good, well paying job, a real profession, healthy bank accounts, as well as real estate holdings, unless you are young, e.g in your 20ies.

    In any event you will be asked to prove you'll have enough funds to support yourself while visiting the US.

    Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

  2. An I-134 by yourself does not make sense and must come from someone residing in the U.S. It depends on the visa category under which you apply whether you need to show support.

  3. No.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

An attorney can help.

Post a question and get free legal advice from attorneys.

Ask a Lawyer

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics