Can I self-petition under VAWA if I have been a victim of domestic violence perpetrated by my US citizen 21 year old son?

Asked about 1 year ago - Red Bank, NJ

My 21 year old son was going to petition for me for adjustment of status. He signed I-131 for me and affidavit of support. But he has a history of abuse towards me, and ultimately in a last recent incident, he battered me, broke my nose, and threatened me to call ICE for me "so that I was deported". After the incident, he ended up in jail for aggravated assault and burglary (he broke into my house and beat me up) where he is now. I was looking into I360 and self petition, but there it is not clear to me if I can self-petition being that I am the parent, and he is the US citizen who was going to file for me. I appreciate any info or guidance into this

1. Asma Warsi Chaudry

1

Best Answer

Answered . Based on the violent acts committed by your son and that the police are involved in the case, you have a good case for immigration based on VAWA. The regulations include the option of filing as a parent of an abusive US citizen. The important thing is to document your son's behavior and establish a pattern of violent actions.

2. Stephen D. Berman

2

1

Answered . Yes, you can file a self petition.

3. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

2

1

Answered . Yes, you seem to be eligible for VAWA relief under the facts. Please seek professional assistance in our area in order to proceed

4. Yolanda Navarrete

Answered . Yes, you are eligible for self petition. Be sure to cooperate with prosecutors.