Can I run away at the age of 17 in Alaska under the circumstances I am in?

Asked 11 months ago - Fairbanks, AK

I am a 17 year old girl living in alaska. I got taken out of my home almost two years ago for sexual, physical and mental abuse from my dad and mom. I got placed in my grandmothers house. I am still under OCS's custody, an I have been ever since all of this started. I have heard that there is no run away law in alaska, but I have not been able to find any information on whether that is true or not. I have wanted to run away for a long time now, but I wasn't sure what the legal problems would be. Are there any loop holes where I could leave the house I am staying at and live on my own?

1. Lee Alan Thompson

Answered . Sure you can runaway. But what you heard is wrong. You'll be picked up and remain subject to the jurisdiction of the court. Just wait until you're 18 and walk away. You can talk to an attorney on what it takes to become emancipated in Alaska. Like most states, you'd probably have to have a job and be able to take care of your financial needs. And you'd have to deal with OCS first.