Skip to main content

Can I revoke my rights as an adoptive parent?

Liberty, NY |
Filed under: Family law Adoption

My ex wife & I adopted our children in October. Back in August of that same year, she told our adult children she was going to leave the marriage after the adoption & the holidays. By January she I am being dragged into court by CPS for something she did. She receives close to $1,000 a month per child (3). We agreed that I would not pay support (but send money for school clothes, holidays, birthdays, etc. The court is ordering me to pay back argument with the court is that the adoption was under false pretenses. Do I have any recourse?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


You can always try filing a motion with the Adoption Judge asking to rescind the adoption. It seems to me the odds are extremely unlikely you'd prevail, as adoptions are intended to be permanent. Schedule a consult with a Family Law attorney in your area.

* If you found my answer to be "HELPFUL," or the "BEST ANSWER," please feel free to mark it accordingly.


No, you screwed up, why should the children suffer?

My name is Stephen R. Cohen and have practiced since 1974. I practice in Los Angeles and Orange County, CA. These answers do not create an attorney client relationship. My answers may offend I believe in telling the truth, I use common sense as well as the law. Other state's laws may differ.. There are a lot of really good attorneys on this site, I will do limited appearances which are preparation of court documents it is , less expensive. However generally I believe an attorney is better than none, but many will offer a free consultation and a face to face meeting generally will be better, I like my clients to write a short one page history of the fact and questions they have prior to meeting with them, so nothing is forgotten.

Family law topics

Recommended articles about Family law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer