Can I revert back to my maiden name before divorce is final?

Murrieta, CA |

I am in the process of filing my divorce paperwork on which I have requested the court change my name back to my maiden name. Do I have to wait until the divorce is final to legally change my name, or can I go about the process after the paperwork is successfully filed? Thank you!

You can start using your maiden name immediately. However, certain documents (drivers license, passport, etc.) will still require your married name to be used until the divorce becomes final.

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of California. Responses are based solely on California law unless stated otherwise.

In order to change your name on government identification cards you will need to wait until you have either a "Status-only Judgment," or the final judgment in your case. Until then, as the other attorney said, you can use your maiden name. It just won't be fully official and you will have to explain things until you have the paperwork from the court to verify the change has been made.