Can i retract a police report in a domestic violence case?

Asked over 1 year ago - Aurora, CO

I over exaggerated what really happened on the police report in order to make him move out.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Stephen Clark Harkess

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You can make a supplemental statement. However, changing your story will not necessarily make criminal charges go away. The District Attorney can proceed with a prosecution even over the victim's objection.

    You can reach Harkess & Salter LLC at (303) 531-5380 or Stephen Harkess is an attorney... more
  2. Richard Waldron Bryans Jr.

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Unfortunately, that is one of the biggest problems with domestic violence laws in the U.S. It happens all the time. False reporting is a crime in and of itself. Unfortunately for the countless victims of false reporting by their lying significant others, more often than not, prosecutors never pursue that charge, and injustice prevails.

    The information provided in this answer is only general shall not be deemed to create an attorney-client relationship.
  3. Jay Bodzin

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . No. It sounds like you may have committed a crime. Making false statements to the police is illegal. You need to consult with a criminal defense attorney in private before you do anything else.

    Please read the following notice:

    Jay Bodzin is licensed to practice law in the State of Oregon and... more
  4. William R. Hixson

    Contributor Level 10


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . (I am not licensed to practice in your state.) Once a police report is filed, you can't just make it go away. However, you could contact the police and let them know that you need to amend the report. But do it immediately. If the other party has already been charged, the issue will be escalated to the DA and your involvement will be that of state's witness to the prosecution.

    This response does not establish an attorney-client relationship between the questioner and any attorney... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,119 answers this week

3,046 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,119 answers this week

3,046 attorneys answering