Can I resell clothing items bought at a department store on my own website to other countries?

Athens, OH |
Filed under: E-commerce Business

I want to sell clothing brands, such as Hollister, A&F, Guess, etc. on my own ecommerce site and I was wondering if it is legal to do so without permission from these companies and if it is, are there any restrictions?

I would assume it depends on several things. One, how you market what it is that you are doing, and two, any federal trade restrictions. In general, once you buy something, it is yours and you are free to do with it as you please. You could see it at a garage sale, you can sell it at a pawn shop, salvation army and second hand stores do this. You could sell it on ebay, etc. So, off the top of my head, I see no problem with reselling products you legally purchased. Again, so long as you market yourself appropriately. Again, I have no knowledge of federal trade laws, so MUST investigate further.

The above information is not, nor intend to be, legal advice. You SHOULD consult an attorney for specific advice regarding your individual situation. Based on this response no attorney-client relationship has been formed. If your matter is in Cuyahoga County or surrounding counties, we invite you to contact us. Please visit our website at Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information until such time and attorney-client relationship is formed. Attorneys in this firm are only licensed to practice in the state of Ohio and have no specific information as to the laws and rules of other states and none of the information provided is intended to be applied to the laws of other states.

Business topics

Recommended articles about Business