Can I request monetary relief from a storage company for damages to my items caused by sandblasting?

Phoenix, AZ |

I have items in storage and the storage facility had some sandblasting done. As a result many of the units (including mine) had contents covered in sharp and fine grit from the sandblasting. This includes furniture and electronics that were not sealed in boxes. Can I request relief for damages due to negligence or do I have to go after the contracting company (or should that be the responsibility of the storage company)? I have insurance through the storage facility and already approached them but sandblasting is apparently not covered in the policy. Oh, and none of the residents were informed that sandblasting was going to take place. We weren't alerted to take precautions or anything.

The short answer here is probably, but a review of the pertinent contracts / rental agreement are paramount.

Perhaps a finely-tuned demand for compensation could work. I am sensing the damage may not be worth spending thousands with a law firm or lawyer, but an advocating working on your side may be able to get some compensation for you.

Give me call for a free, no-commitment consult.

Good luck!

Scott A. Mac Leod is licensed to practice law in Arizona. The information provided here is for educational purposes only and is not intended as legal advice for a particular matter. This response does not create any attorney-client relationship with the author. For specific advice about your particular situation, please consult an attorney.

I agree with Mr. Macleod in that your first move would be to review your contract. Then, you need to determine whether the damage to your property is worth spending the money on an attorney. Also, having an attorney review your insurance agreement may be important.

DISCLAIMER This answer is general information only. The information presented should not be construed as formal legal advice, nor as the formation of a lawyer/client relationship. I am an Arizona attorney and can only really speak to Arizona law. Please consult an attorney in your state for specific answers. Please refer to's terms and conditions.

Business topics

Recommended articles about Business