Can I request an ad litem for my child, in regard to child support?

Asked over 2 years ago - Virginia Beach, VA

I can't afford a lawyer. I'm appealing to the circuit court in regard to a less than okay child support ruling in J&DR. My ex's lawyer is not considering the impact of all of this on our child, so there is no one to protect my son.

1. Mary G. Commander

Best Answer

Answered . You are not going to get a Guardian Ad Litem on a support appeal in the Virginia Beach Circuit Court. Have you contacted Tidewater Legal Aid to see whether you might qualify for their no-cost legal services for yourself?

This response does not create an attorney-client relationship and is intended for general information purposes only.
  2. Jennifer E Mandell

Answered . I suppose you could try (by making the request by motion to the circuit court). However, unless there is also a custody dispute involved in the case, I don't believe the court would find a sufficient legal basis to grant the request to appoint a GAL (where the only issue to be determined is child support).