Can I request a divorce hearing before a judge?

State of MD- I filed for divorce in January and it's being contested in every way possible by my bitter ex. I do not want to answer the probing interrogatories sent to me by the Defendants' lawyer. I cannot afford to retain my own attorney but doing this pro se' is very hard. I'm afraid of having to pay an attorney to help me, losing the case and then having to also pay the Defendant's attorney fees. I just want out! Is there a way to appeal to the judge to request a hearing and bypass all these other document requests? We have no real property or anything to fight over- she just won't let this failed marriage go!

Upper Marlboro, MD -

David Raymond Mahood

David Raymond Mahood

Divorce / Separation Lawyer - Savage, MD

If you do not properly respond to the interrogatories and other discovery requests, you can be hurt bad in a motion to compel in which your wife can ask for attorney's fees because of putting her to the added attorney's fees of doing the motion to compel. So you must respond to all discovery, and generally the other spouse is entitled to most, if not all of the financial information sought. There are ways to obtain free or low cost legal services. Go to your local county Circuit Court and ask if they can tell you about any pro bono legal organizations who can help you. Or you could pay an attorney for a consultation once in a while just to guide you and keep you doing what is proper so that you do not make any major, major mistakes in your case.

Daniel Seth Williams

Daniel Seth Williams

Divorce / Separation Lawyer - Pacific Grove, CA

No, you have to answer them. Another way to try to get an attorney is asking a local church, synagogue, or other place of worship if they have a member who can volunteer some time. Also support groups or local law schools may have legal clinics, and for the law schools possibly a student interning with an experienced family law attorney.

Catherine Earnshaw-Hobbs

Catherine Earnshaw-Hobbs

Divorce / Separation Lawyer - Lees Summit, MO

Missouri has an option of limited representation. What that means is that people who either don't want to have an attorney do the entire case for them - or can't afford to have an attorney participate in all aspects of the case - can limit what the attorney does in their representation.
I don't know the rules for Maryland and whether they have that as an option (as I only practice in Missouri), but you should be able to call the bar association in your area and ask.