Skip to main content

Can I request to have my Naturalization Interview delayed until a specific time?

Memphis, TN |
Filed under: US citizenship

My interview is scheduled on March 4. I am traveling to my home country on Feb 17 until April 29 for a pre-scheduled knee surgery for my parent. They have no other children and I will have to be there with her for the surgery and during the recovery time.

I did not expect the interview to be scheduled to quickly. The process time in Memphis shows 5 months and I applied in Dec, expecting something in May. My immigration history and residency is all clean and perfect. So , should I stay and let my Old mum& dad go through this difficult time on their own? or is it understandable situation for the Immigration?

Attorney Answers 3


You can request a reschedule with the details. It is up to USCIS to schedule the interview. The processing times, both those posted on the USCIS website and those listed on receipts are just rough estimates.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


Yes, you can request to have the interview rescheduled. Please provide them with the specific dates when you are back in the country and available for the interview. They typically have no issues with rescheduling. The only risk is that there might be a delay in scheduling another interview by USCIS, but that's rare. Good luck!

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


You can request the rescheduling but I'd jump at the chance to finish and travel as a citizen. If you are concerned there is something incorrect with your application, then retain counsel to attend the interview with you.

Mark as helpful

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics