Can I represent myself in county court as I did in city?

Newburgh, NY |
Filed under: Civil rights

I was stopped and frisked by Newburgh City Police they found a small brown marihuana cigarette on the floor near me, arrested me, charged me with cpm and detained me for the night "due to my attitude". Yes I was verbally defensive I have a month left on probation and I DO NOT SMOKE. In city court I was given a one year Acd. I went to probation today and she said she will call me with a court date for county court. Can I defend myself in county court as I did in city? I am not guilty of anything except being in the wrong place at the wrong time. I get tested frequently at probation and haven't had a dirty in years. Please any advice would be appreciated I'm nervous that my probation term will be extended or worse. Thankyou.

You have the legal right to represent yourself but it is not a good idea.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

Can you give me a ballpark figure on how much a lawyer might cost?

Eric Edward Rothstein

Eric Edward Rothstein

It might depend what you are on probation for and if there are any other charges and specifiications and how many appearances are needed.

Thankyou, your help is greatly appreciated.

You have the right to represent yourself. However, you also have the right to retain an experienced criminal defense attorney to represent you. Be mindful that you are on probation.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or www.mynewyorkcitylawyer.com.

Civil rights topics