Can I represent myself in a child custody case

Asked about 4 years ago - Pocatello, ID

Don't have money for an attorney can I represent my myself.

1. Ryan Patrick Henson

Answered . Representing your self is always an option but not the best one. At a minimum consult with an attorney to determine what level of representation is necessary giving your particular issues. Remember that if you go to court and represent yourself the judge is required to hold you to the same standard as that of another attorney, this means that the judge will expect you to be knowledgeable regarding the rules of evidence and procedure. This will put you at a significant disadvantage particularly if you are litigating against another attorney. Legal Aid generally can be made available to those who are victims of domestic violence in Idaho, others will most likely not qualify.

2. Jared Clayton Austin

Answered . You can represent yourself in such a matter. It is not ideal nor encouraged, but you are allowed to. But keep in mind that if the other side is represented by counsel, it puts you at a big disadvantage. You could check and see if you qualify for Legal Aid. It's worth a shot to ask.