Can I represent myself and ask for a diversion program if it is a first offense petty larceny charge?

Lynchburg, VA |
Filed under: Criminal defense

I was caught trying to steal $102 worth of stuff from Target. I have no prior criminal history and this is my first offense. I was not arrested or taken in, just given a summons to appear in court. The cops told me they would put in a good word for me with the judge since I was so cooperative with everything. Can I ask the judge myself at arraignment for a diversion judgment? I have court in a few weeks, and I am supposed to leave in April for a job in another state and would like not to worry about having to come back for another court date if possible?

Unfortunately, each county in Virginia has its own diversion program. To get responsible advice, contact a lawyer in Lynchburg that does criminal defense. Even diversion programs may leave things on your criminal record that can have a lasting effect on you later in life.

Please be warned -- Don't just take the advice of the police officer.