Can I represent myself?

Princeton, NJ |
Filed under: Divorce

My divorce case is very simple, uncontested. I hired an attorney. However he made many mistakes in the documents and charged unfairly. Can I dismiss him and do it by myself? What should I do? Thanks!

1. If you know the procedure and court rules, you may certainly attempt to procede pro se.

973-984-0800. Please be advised my answers to questions does not constitute legal advise and you should not rely on it, due to the fact that we have never met, I have not been aprised of the facts in you case nor have I reviewed any documents.

2. You can always discharge your attorney. But you are better off obtaining a new one because you only really get one chance at doing your divorce correctly.

DISCLAIMER This answer is provided for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site cannot be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices law in the State where this offense is charged; and, who has experience in the area of law you are asking questions about and with whom you would have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question, or in the State where this charge is filed

3. Schedule a meeting with the attorney you retained to address the issues you have with the quality of their representation (or lack thereof) and see if you can resolve your issues without seeking a new attorney. If you can't resolve your issues with your current attorney then you can shop around for finding legal representation elsewhere to assist you in your divorce. You shouldn't try to represent yourself unless you know the applicable statutes, case law and court rules. Good luck with your case.

DISCLAIMER This answer is provided for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site cannot be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices law in the State where this offense is charged; and, who has experience in the area of law you are asking questions about and with whom you would have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question, or in the State where this charge is filed. I am an attorney licensed to practice in the State of New Jersey. Consult a local attorney if your case arises outside the State of New Jersey. If you found this answer to be HELPFUL then you can vote that this answer was helpful. If you found this answer to be the BEST ANSWER of all those presented, then you can vote that this answer was the best answer presented. Also, please be advised that any response to any comments made by the asker do not create an attonrey client relationship.