Can I represent myself?

Asked over 1 year ago - Princeton, NJ

My divorce case is very simple, uncontested. I hired an attorney. However he made many mistakes in the documents and charged unfairly. Can I dismiss him and do it by myself? What should I do? Thanks!

1. Ronald Glenn Lieberman

Pro

3

Answered . You can always discharge your attorney. But you are better off obtaining a new one because you only really get one chance at doing your divorce correctly.

2. Yolanda Navarrete

1

Answered . If you know the procedure and court rules, you may certainly attempt to procede pro se.

3. Jeffrey Anthony Skiendziul

1

Answered . Schedule a meeting with the attorney you retained to address the issues you have with the quality of their representation (or lack thereof) and see if you can resolve your issues without seeking a new attorney. If you can't resolve your issues with your current attorney then you can shop around for finding legal representation elsewhere to assist you in your divorce. You shouldn't try to represent yourself unless you know the applicable statutes, case law and court rules. Good luck with your case.